Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tree of Life

Last night I watched a very unique film called The Tree of Life. It was quite artsy which was why I liked it. I enjoy artsy films because they tend to communicate powerful messages in unique ways. There was one section especially that I thought was beautiful.

After a mother and father receive news that their son has died, the movie shows various shots and moments of the grieving parents. The acting and cinematography really help you get a taste of what such grieving might feel like.

Then, the powerful scene begins with hearing the mother praying to God asking (paraphrasing) "Why would you let this happen? Aren't you the most powerful, most merciful being?" All you see is this beautiful, colorful nebula swirling in the blackness. When the mother finishes her plea, the music builds as the screen shows a variety of shots in space. The film shows the creation of stars and the movement of planets and galaxies. The shots are particularly dazzling and majestic.

As the music came to its climax, I saw this as God's answer to the mother's anguished cries. To me, the film was trying to show a bit of God's side of the story. It was as if He were saying "I know this hurts. I know you think you know what sounds what's right, but you don't. Do you think that I, as the most powerful and merciful being would turn aside to let something as awful as this happen without having a very important reason? I created the heavens and everything that lives and moves in them. Whereas you could only imagine such magnificent things, I have organized them all. I created them all with all their complexity, beauty and grandeur. My infinite understanding far surpasses your limited sight and knowledge. Don't worry. Grieve now, but know that in the end it will all make sense. When you have learned all that you can learn, you will understand why this had to happen."

Unfortunately this blog post cannot do it justice. You simply have to experience the film for yourself. I recommend it, but only if you can watch an alinear film that without much of a plot and not get bored.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pleased you took my recommendation seriously. Beautiful and profound, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I will say, I particularly liked this segment because I felt it could be read a multiple of ways. While I, myself, believe in the way of grace, I could also see proof for the way of nature as a harsh contrast. I thought it was amazing how easily I could see warmth, God, understanding, and divine organization in the same scene that I also saw a cold, unfeeling universe that refuses to recognize the individual soul. I saw both answers and indifference in perfect juxtaposition. A feat that, I feel, is grand and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for beautiful commentaries.

    ReplyDelete